I think most of Gatsby's story are somewhat true, but they are often exaggerated. For example, Gatsby said that he was an Oxford man, but he only went there for a few months. I think Gatsby exaggerates his stories to impress people and to improve his reputation. He really wants people to notice him, especially Daisy. Gatsby thinks that if Daisy is impressed by him, she might leave Tom and marry Gatsby instead.
I think that all of Gatsby's stories are untrue, and that he lies about his past. He said he got all of his wealth from his parent, but the book states his parents were poor. I think he lies about his past because he is ashamed to have been poor. The last thing Gatsby wants, is to be looked down upon and shunned from the upper-class society.
I believe that most of Gatsby's stories are mostly true, but just a little bit over exaggerated. He is a well known man and well respected, so there must be history and an explanation for all of it. Also many people see him as an honorable man, there for he must telling most of the truth in his stories.
I have to say that I agree with Liam on this one. It would just plain make sense to lie about some of his stories. We have found out through reading chapter 7 that he only attended a short while at Oxford. Only a few months! Not nearly as long as we had believed earlier in the book. He would lie so he wouldn't be looked down upon like he was not as sophisticated as all the other rich people. Although he may not totally lie on all of his stories, he definitely over exaggerates.
I believe that some are true, and some are not. But that is what Gatsby wants. He wants to remain somewhat mysterious so his past is not found out and that he can become respected and liked by his peers. For example, the story about Gatsby attending Oxford is somewhat true. "Technically", he went to Oxford, but only for six months.
I think most of Gatsby's story are somewhat true, but they are often exaggerated. For example, Gatsby said that he was an Oxford man, but he only went there for a few months. I think Gatsby exaggerates his stories to impress people and to improve his reputation. He really wants people to notice him, especially Daisy. Gatsby thinks that if Daisy is impressed by him, she might leave Tom and marry Gatsby instead.
ReplyDeleteI think that all of Gatsby's stories are untrue, and that he lies about his past. He said he got all of his wealth from his parent, but the book states his parents were poor. I think he lies about his past because he is ashamed to have been poor. The last thing Gatsby wants, is to be looked down upon and shunned from the upper-class society.
ReplyDeleteI believe that most of Gatsby's stories are mostly true, but just a little bit over exaggerated. He is a well known man and well respected, so there must be history and an explanation for all of it. Also many people see him as an honorable man, there for he must telling most of the truth in his stories.
ReplyDeleteI have to say that I agree with Liam on this one. It would just plain make sense to lie about some of his stories. We have found out through reading chapter 7 that he only attended a short while at Oxford. Only a few months! Not nearly as long as we had believed earlier in the book. He would lie so he wouldn't be looked down upon like he was not as sophisticated as all the other rich people. Although he may not totally lie on all of his stories, he definitely over exaggerates.
ReplyDeleteI believe that some are true, and some are not. But that is what Gatsby wants. He wants to remain somewhat mysterious so his past is not found out and that he can become respected and liked by his peers. For example, the story about Gatsby attending Oxford is somewhat true. "Technically", he went to Oxford, but only for six months.
ReplyDelete