Poetry
Valuable or Not?
Poetry, I think, is very important to learn. Even though people complain you don't need poetry to get a job. Your whole life isn't a job. If it is then I feel sorry for you. I remember Mr. Dubois telling my class that his mom fell in love with his dad because he could recite poetry. Hopefully that wasn't the only reason she fell in love with him but it doesn't hurt to have that as an attribute. Poetry is a thing that helps you escape real life. Even though they relate to real life it gets you away from everything. Many poets have had depressing life which can relate to the brilliance of the poetry they write. I'm not saying you need to have a depressing life to be good at poetry but its something that a lot of poets have in common. I really like poetry but i hate it when we have to tear apart the poem to find the figurative language. Its good to learn, but some poetry is just meant to be enjoyed.
I agree with your thoughts of poetry just being meant to be enjoyed sometimes. But, hey, school is school. We will always do annoying things in classes! I do think that the tearing apart of poems helps to understand it, though, even if it's not too fun.
ReplyDeleteI think that is a very good way to put your thoughts. I agree with you that some poets have had a depressing life, and that that can attribute to the level of brilliance in the poems. ALthough Towards the end of your post you say, "I hate it when we have to tear apart the poem to find the figurative language." That is what I have to say that I dissagree with. That statement is not completely true. You don't really have to tear apart a poem to find the figurative language, most of the time it is right in front of you, but it can be hiding.
ReplyDelete